Saturday, February 10

"Mortified"

Chapter 4: The Other Monster

"Urgh...." The floor, spotted with his coagulated blood, thicken with oxidized decayed blood cells... The darkness of the outside corridor and my dim bedroom lights amplified the zombie's image.
Mr. Lim, with a retarded raise, looked at me, with his blood thirsty and bloodshot eyes. As his line of sight fell on me, he intensified his invasion. Cold beads of perspiration cloaked me, the adrenaline glands pumping like mad. Shit... My legs do not need repeating.
I ran out of my room, jumping over some of my dumped school books and the blood smeared brick. I dashed in an ungracely manner towards the living room, naturally began flipping the door latch open, I got to get the heck out of here. Strange, my legs were excited, i could have ran the physical education 2.4 kilometers in less than five minutes... However the rest of my body parts made me feel like a freakin' hypocrite. I was already sweating like it was raining indoors, my brain exhausted from all the mind games, the fumbling fingers not getting a grip on the door latch...
Calm down Ivan... He's not going to get you if you just CALM down and open the door! "uuuhhhh...."
I stole a glance at spot of the origin. Mr Lim lumbering towards me. His huge figure made the doorway look small, intimidating me further. Click! Finally the latch is off! farewell Mr Lim, I pray that someone puts you out of your misery soon. I flung the door wide opened, and took a step towards the gate. My eyes were still fascinated with the fact that I am looking at a real life out of the movie monster, All sympathies for the old man is lost, I only wanted to see him as an interesting threat to my survival. Farewell Mr Lim, it was nice knowing you. Peeling my eyes off him, I synchronized my feet and hands to the gate. I spin for the quick getaway, only to stop shortly. I let a small yelp escape from my mouth,
However it was not enough to dodge the arms of those determined to rip you apart... Arms so desperate for a human flesh, Karen, Mr. Lim's young grand-daughter... Karen not you too...
Her slender hands, already showing some signs of decay, groped tightly on my arm. She gripped me with unspeakable strength, I never knew she possessed such monstrous brawns; it was unexpected from the slim and beautiful lady. I stared at her beautiful face, studying what fascinated me time and time again. If I were not a Christian, I may have done something unpardonable because of her. Her long jet black hair, tempting big eyes, tight pouting lips, and her perfectly chiseled face. Her body was flawless, making her the perfect goddess of Singaporean girls.
Now here she is, Still as beautiful as ever, just that she has a chunk of lower right jaw missing.
Mr. Lim must have got to her, how could he!? such cruelty, he definitely has no taste for true beauty... and Karen definitely do not show the right tastes to satisfy her appetite.
I shook the fantastical impressions I had for her out of my head. Mr. Lim already is about 4 meters away. I began to pull my captured arm with the same intensity that Karen is gripping my arm with.
3 meters, I could see that there is some form of unforeseen cooperation here. Karen let go of me! I kicked the gate with all my weight, the impact threw Karen off guard and she fell away into a pot of my mother's favorite herbs.
I side step in quick reflex, slipping under the lard filled arms of Mr. Lim. continuing the strife to the kitchen, that’s when I saw it. The gleaming beauty, my silver lining in this storm. The sharp kitchen knife laid on the stove side table, like the sword prepared for the king. I grabbed the handle and examined the blade. Despite the kitchen darkness and my vision fueled by the moonlight... The simple kitchen knife glowed in a simple radiance. The foot long knife looked like the weapon meant to kill, not to be insulted by facing daily chopping of vegetables or mishandled by using it for other purposes. That’s right, It’s a weapon, And now its my weapon that will grant me the freedom that I so long to have...
The opponent has arrived, I never felt so ready in my life to do something as significant as this... 2 monsters standing face to face, except that there is a possibility that the other may be immortal...
Welding the blade with my stronger right arm, I thrust into the monster's chest; I could feel the edge of the tool piercing into his flesh, passing meat, bones, organs... Yet, the same expression on his face, cept' for his sudden excitement for the fact that i am extremely within his reach. With a wide swing of his arms, he complacently attempted to grab me. This only gave me the chance to dive below the dining table, and in a quick succession, appeared behind him.Then with all my might, crowding the small handle with both my hands, I plunged the knife straight through the cranium, pushing in with all my body weight. Crack! I could hear loud splintering of bones, the smashing of organic matter, I know that i have hit home.
With the same effort i pulled the bloody blade out, and it made a sick slushy sound. Astonishingly, I realised that there wasnt much blood on the blade. I kinda expected blood to be all over the place... but this may be a blessing in disguise, i am still not sure how you will turn into one of them, it could be like the movies where if your blood is expose to their's you could get infected... I am not taking that risk...
Mr Lim stayed in the position for quite a while... I got no idea what is his condition like... I pray that he is finally put out of his misery. After all this, I am not really sure what to expect, I mean i never knew that zombies possesses any form of intelligence, but if I recalled correctly, Mr Lim did throw a brick to smash my bedroom window.
Out of curiousity, i took a step and stood near his front. Cold sweat from the adreline rush rolled down my arms, suspense made me gripped the knife harder. Peering at his face, I saw that his eyes were wide open and motionless, There wasnt much life in them in the first place. yet i could tell that he was more dead than he was just now. His lips curled into a snarl, as if something bad just happened to him. I wonder what went through his head just now. Haha, Hahahahaha, hahahaha... ha...I could not help it but laugh at my little joke. "Ughh" Mr Lim suddenly lunged at me, grabbing hold both my arms at the shoulder, I was petrified and could not respond. Isnt he suppose to stay still? I was suppose to win, what is going on? I was pretty sure he was dead!
Bearing teeth that had blacken from decay, he tried to take a bite at me, Crap they really do eat human!!!!!!!! He plunged his head towards my neck's left side, subconsciously I responded by pushing at his face. The force of Mr Lim's weight and thrust threw me to the ground. Landing hard to my back, I accidentally let out a small groan of pain...with all my might, and fueled by fear, i pushed like as if I were going to die, literally. I was nearing tears, yet continue to struggle to keep his head just distant from me, and the stench of rotting flesh is beginning to make me sick. Mr Lim, energised by some unknown force, pushing with uncoordinated, yet still as mighty, forward, trying to bite anything in his way, including the hands that placed around his neck. Crap, there's still so many things i wanna do in life, I do not want it to end here... God please I know i was complacent with myself just now, I really believe that i have things ahead that i have yet to accomplish, Lord save me.....
Suddenly there was a loud crash, sounds of metal crashing into the concrete ground. Mr Lim seemed to be too engrossed with trying to feed himself to notice. Struggling, I continued to push on with equal strength, somehow i do not think i could hold on forever... Then i heard it, a second one. Karen! she must have managed to push down the gates! that means no one is ever safe even in their house, who on earth can push down a door gate!? Yet Mr Lim still has not noticed his grand daughter, she stood upright next to him, as if she were here to greet him... This is bad, I got my hand full with one guy and she wants to join the party... This is getting from bad to worse...

End of Chapter 4

No comments: